Friday 30 August 2013

Political Engagement - TASK 2 to TASK 8

WHAT IS YOUR POLITICAL POSITION?
After having a go at the ABC'S Vote Compass in an attempt to gauge my own political position, I found that my political standing was more or less where I expected.

As you can see, I am largely on par with the ALP and the Greens. However, I was surprised on occasion that my personal values translated exactly with the ALP. I was under no illusion that my ideologies would ever line up with those of the LNP (who I find to be ironically named given the fact that they are not particularly liberal by my standards), but I did not realise that my attitudes directly corresponded with those represented in the some of the ALP's policies. In saying that, I am not entirely confident that these findings are completely accurate but I am satisfied in my left-wing position.



TASK 2: RESPOND TO A PROFESSIONAL BLOGGER ON A NEWS WEBSITE.
After trawling some Australian news sites, I was unable to settle on a post in which I felt enough of an investment to comment. Therefore, I did not complete this task.


TASK 3: WHAT IS BARACK OBAMA UP TO TODAY? CAN YOU SEND HIM A MESSAGE ABOUT THE IMPORTANCE OF FREEDOM ON THE INTERNET?
1) Today US President Barack Obama has an official meeting with President Toomas Hendrik Ilves of Estonia, Dalia Grybauskaitė of Lithuania, and President Andris Bērziņš of Latvia.


2) I could send him a message about the importance of internet safety, but I have chosen not to do so. Considering the fact that the President and his administration are currently facing some considerably larger issues such as the escalating conflict in Syria coupled with the UK's refusal of military support, I thought I had better not bother the President's administrative staff with less pressing matters ;)


TASK 4: WHAT WERE/ARE THE GOVERNMENT'S PLANS TO CENSOR THE INTERNET (THE SO-CALLED CLEAN FEED)?
In 2007, the Australian Government had proposed a plan to censor the internet in order to create a "Clean Feed" after persistent campaigning from lobbyist groups such as he Australian Catholics Lobby (ACL). The plan involved filtering content through the Internet Service Providers (ISPs) by blocking certain sites which would be determined by the government itself. Unlike the plan recently introduced in the UK, internet users would not have the choice of whether or not they wanted to use the "Clean Feed" but would see all internet users subjected to the same feed. However, this original plan was never implemented as a different scheme was adopted whereby the Interpol "worst-of" list of child abuse sites would be the only sites blocked.


TASK 5: WHAT PLACE DOES CENSORSHIP HAVE IN DEMOCRACY?
The issue of censorship and its role in democracy is a delicate issue. Many argue that censorship is a form of repression and denies citizens their civil liberties, however, others view censorship as a means of offering safety, preserving decency and even, by extension, upholding the civilisation.


TASK 6: WHEN WILL THE NBN GET TO YOUR PLACE. WHAT WILL BE THE BENEFITS?
Construction has not yet begun in my area therefore the NBN will not reach my street for some time. In fact, it is not currently on the rollout plan so no specific dates are available. According to the official NBN website, the benefits of the NBN will be increased internet speeds and affordability (NBN Co, 2013).



TASK 7: FIND OUT WHO YOUR LOCAL, STATE AND FEDERAL REPRESENTATIVES ARE. SEND ONE A MESSAGE.
1) Local Greens Representative: Petrina Maizey



2) Leading State Greens Representative: Adam Stone


3) Federal Greens Representative: Christine Milne



TASK 8: LOOK UP THE QLD OR AUSTRALIAN HANSARD TO FIND THE LAST TIME YOUR LOCAL MEMBER SPOKE IN PARLIMENT.
I was unable to complete this activity as I could not find any information indicating the last time the local Greens representative spoke in parliament.


TASK 9: LET YOUR LOCAL MEMBER KNOW WHAT YOU THOUGHT OF THEIR LAST SPEECH.
I was also unable to complete this situation as I did not watch Petrina Maizey's last speech, therefore I can make no comment as to my thoughts on her speech.

No comments:

Post a Comment